Mistakes We Make When Searching Our Genealogy
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Genealogy Research and other Genealogy topics.
What are Some Mistakes Researchers Make?
When people are researching a family genealogy they often make some very simple mistakes. Make sure these don't happen to you!
- Don't forget to talk to living relatives. Many researchers forget to talk to those that are alive and instead focus on those that have passed away. Living relatives are a great place to start!
- Don't believe everything you see in print. After all, not everything we read is true. Do some research to back up what you find.
- Just because your research says you are related to someone famous, it doesn't always mean you truly are. Don't get hung up things like celebrity.
- Don't accept everything you read about your family and its legends as fact. Again, not everything you read is true..do your research.
- Do not limit your names to one spelling. Many last names were changed throughout the years and spelled differently as times changed. Keep this in mind when doing your research.
Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.